Thursday, December 31, 2009

What monocot is this? Agavaceae

 
 
 

This plant has been in the Secret Garden of 1 Utama for several years. It came as tufted plants with stiff sharply pointed leaves. I planted one tuft in the cactus bed with other plants of arid climates because it looked like an agave. I planted another in a wet place. The plants thrived in both places but surprisingly it was the plant in the wet place that flowered. It produced a long slender inflorescence bearing a series of flowers, but failed to set fruits. The identity of the plant is a mystery. A friend has suggested Bromeliaceae, the pineapple family, but I think it is closer to Agavaceae the century-plant family.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Autumn Belle said...

Dr. Ng, this sure looks like an unusual plant, the flowers are quite different from the agave that I usually see around town. Now, I would like to wish you a Very Happy New Year 2010!

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Stephanie said...

Those furry things tells me it can be a yucca too. Nonetheless, I wish I could be like you working in the Secret Garden. I think you have the best job in the world ;-D

Andrea said...

Happy New Year Dr Ng. Congratulations for all the adulations your Secret Garden is getting and the awards you are getting professionally. I agree with Stephanie, you have the best job in the world. By this i mean, enjoying the job immensely and doubly rewarded for the products. God bless and more power to you. May you be fully blessed!