Thursday, March 29, 2007

1st Review of Tropical Horticulture and Gardening

Three months after publication, the first review of Tropical Horticulture and Gardening has been published. It is by JF Veldkamp and MMJ van Balgooy of the University of Leiden, in the Flora Malesiana Bulletin Vol 14 of March 1007, pages 60-62. Unusually for a joint review, the two authors wrote separate opinions. They pointed out several errors and took issue with the author over several points. But their verdict was favourable. Veldkamp thought my history of plant domestication was 'brief but informative', my introduction to nomenclature 'clear and helpful' and my chapter on morphology 'lucid'. Nomenclature and morphology are what students in botany sleep through in botany class. Of course, Veldkamp and Balgooy are professors, not students, but it is good to know that the professors approve of what I wrote. Balgooy says "In my opinion this is the best and most complete treatment on tropical gardening in SE Asia ever written."
Thank you, thank you.

1 comment:

The LawMan said...

Hi

It is good to see that the blog is constantly added to. Keeps people coming back.

Is there any way I can access the full text of the review(s) online? Or, can you send me images of the reviews (digital camera photographs sent by email will do).

Thanks